The market of energy and fuel produced using biomass is rapidly expanding. Why? The increasing need of renewable energy in the world right now. Global warming and climate change are serious threats to our communities. The adverse effects of climate change recorded in the last decades has pressured governments to look into environment friendly energy sources. We will be seeing a considerable rise in the need of biomass and energy produced using biomass in the coming years.
There are many types of biomass sources being used to produce energy, fuels or chemicals around the world and woodchips are one of them. They are produced by cutting or chipping wood pieces. If you are in a renewable energy business, you might want to consider using woodchips to produce energy for the benefits are many. You can find wood pellets suppliers in most markets. Ecostrat is a reputable biomass supplier in North America suppling wood chips and other wood fibers. Here, you can find a lot of information about wood chip suppliers.
Types of Wood Pallets
It is good to have an understanding of the characteristics of the wood chips. It must be noted, they depend on the material and the chipper.
- Forest wood chips. These may be log chips produced from stem wood. Chips from stumps. Residual chips from logging.
- Residual chips from recycled wood or off-cuts.
- Sawing chips from sawmills
Size of Woodchips
Wood chips generally are 20-50 mm in size. There are chips of bigger size as well, called hog fuel, that can be up to 100 mm or more. It should be noted that long and thin pieces can block chip feed systems and also cause bridging. The size also depends on the equipment used for chipping.
Advantages of Woodchips
Wood chips have several advantages that make them a good biomass product for energy or fuel production.
- The highlighting benefit is the cost. Wood chips prices are lower than your expectations.
- They can be produced locally so the supply chain does not have to be long and complex.
- Wood chips can come from multiple sources making it an easy and flexible source.
- They have a large surface area to volume ratio which makes them ideal for combustion and gasification.
- They form uniform fuel, making the flow to conversion systems and boilers very steady.
Storage is an important aspect and therefore requires additional care. Wood chips should be stored in a covered space to prevent wetting through rain. But that does not mean they are left in a completely locked space. Airflow is required to disperse water vapors so that the wood chips are safe from mold.
- Tip:Keep the stack height no more than 10 meters so that the wood chips are safe from developing heat.
Wood chips are widely used for bioenergy solutions, especially by companies that can produce their own wood chips locally. They are cheap and easy to get. You can find supplier of wood chips anywhere in the world. Renewable energy is the future of our world and energy produced through biomass wood is likely to rise exponentially.